Sunday, June 30, 2024

Club Project - Shadow Box Name Tag

A recent club project from my miniature club was a shadow box name tag for us all to wear to our club meetings.  The shadow box had just enough room for a tiny display of miniatures depicting our interests.  Fabulous idea!  The kit provided was made from popsicle sticks.  I missed the meeting where they assembled the box and was pressed for time so I made mine from a 2 inch square plastic box (like sold at Container store).   Below are some photos of supplies and the project in progress.

Here are the materials I used:
2 inch square plastic box with lid (those old square Apple ear pod boxes would work great)
brass stamping of a bamboo frame
scrap book paper to line the box
eyeglass chain
two lobster clasps and jump rings
jewelry bails
4 tiny jewelry tassels
Stick on letters
eye pins
small scraps of thin wood
Glue for jewelry bails and for anchoring the items inside the box
pliers (for attaching lobster clasps and jump rings)
Gold paint

E6000 glue

Main steps:

Drill holes for tassels.  Use eye pins to attach tassels.  Bend the eye-pins so they stay flat against the inside bottom of the box.  I filled in around them with some thin scrap wood strips and covered with another thin piece of scrap wood. 

 

 

Paint the wood ‘floor’ (I used gold metallic).  Cut a piece of wallpaper or scrapbook paper to line the inside back.  Decide on lettering and items to display.  I used scrapbook letter stickers but some of my club members used letter beads (which showed up better than the sparkly letters).


Attach bails to back with strong glue – like E6000 or epoxy (I think I used E6000)  Connect the chain to the lobster clasp.

Decide on items to put in the space – my “interests” were:

  • grandchildren - (tiny baby by Victor Fortunato, ebay ID gtsixtythree)
  • sewing -  buttons by Ilisha Helfman, teacup pincushion, thread spools
  • roses – from Sandra Manring workshop
  • bows – bow made on my bittybow bowmaker
  • miniatures – tiny metal dollhouse by metal miniatures (painted by me)

Here is the finished name tag.  I really enjoy wearing it to the club meetings.




No comments:

Post a Comment